Controller for Investment Management Team
Los Angeles, CA 90064 | Direct Hire
Career Strategies is interviewing accounting professionals with experience as a Controller or Senior Auditor at a large corporation for an amazing opportunity with our client, a Los Angeles based investment advising firm.
Controllers oversee the accounting operations of a company. They monitor staff, production of financial reports, accounting systems, improve reporting accuracy, enforce compliance with generally accepted accounting practices and standards, complete SEC filings and ensure fund compliance. They use comprehensive controls and budgets to mitigate risk and ensure that financial statements, balance sheets, P&L statements, cash flows, retained earnings, etc are error free and in line with standard industry accounting principles, state and federal regulations and company policy.
Our client manages investments for some of the world's largest public pension funds, foundations, corporations, endowments and individuals using a variety of niche strategies. This position will also oversee a fund administrator handling the cash management and investor relations as well as provide oversight of the books and two projects.
The ideal candidate comes with 10+ years’ of progressively challenging roles with a heavy emphasis on auditing and prior roles as a controller. They have a CPA or Certified Management Accountant designation and experience working with large companies or corporate environment. In this management role, candidates with accounting management experience are a PLUS. Some travel, periodic weekend or evening work is required.
This is a full-time opportunity. A competitive compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity for career growth, make this opportunity a fantastic next step in any career.
About this Position:
- Supervise A/R and A/P accounting department staff
- Design an organizational structure that achieves the department’s objectives
- Enforce a documented system of policies, procedures and controls
- Maintain orderly accounting files
- Train staff on proper procedures
- Determine best practices
- Implement improvements to procedures, internal controls and database management
- Manage outsourced functions
- Oversee the accounting operations, control systems, transaction-processing operations, policies and procedures of subsidiary corporations
- Ensure that payables are paid and receivables are collected promptly
- Process payroll
- Reconcile bank accounts regularly
- Ensure debt payments are timely
- Update the account charts
- Coordinate the production of the annual corporate report, budget, forecasts, audits and tax returns
- Provide financial statements
- Create benchmarks used to measure performance
- Calculate financial and operating metrics
- Calculate variances
- Provide management cost reports and financial analyses for contracts, capital investments, pricing decisions
- Coordinate external auditors
- Monitor debt and compliance with debt covenants
- Provide compliance documents for SEC filings and Funds
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal requirements
This is not a comprehensive list of duties.
About the Candidate:
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, business administration or 10+ years’ experience (MUST)
- CPA or Certified Management Accountant designation (PREFERRED)
- MBA Degree (PLUS)
- 10+ years’ progressively responsible roles in accounting as an auditor or controller (MUST)
- 5+ years’ experience in a major company or corporate environment (MUST)
- 3+ years' experience at investment firm (PLUS)
- Advanced PC skills: financial software, MS Word and Excel (MUST)
- Personality and skills: exceptional math skills, attention to detail, leadership abilities, multi-tasker, critical thinker, strong verbal and written communication, excellent time management, highly organized, problem solver, analytical, detail oriented
Equal Opportunity Employer considering qualified candidates in accordance with state and federal laws, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.