Cost Accountant for Amazing Northern California Employer
San Mateo, CA 94403 | Direct Hire
We are currently interviewing Associate Cost Accountants for our client, a well-established multi-family property management company.
This Job Cost Accountant provides accounting services for multifamily development projects and managed properties. This includes preparing monthly financial statements and property management reports and working directly with 3rd party vendors (such as lenders) to track and provide draw requests. They are responsible for property accounting records, rectifying variances and updating journal entries. Cost accountants also plays a crucial part in preparing the monthly, quarterly and annual tax documents and compliance audits as well as performing regular analysis for portfolio cash management.
Our client is a large, privately held owner and manager of multi-family properties throughout Northern California and Oregon who specialize in acquisition and development or residential and commercial space. They embody the philosophy of “home” at their communities and commercial spaces… as well as in their work environment. They care about their team, and it shows. Employees love working here and are vocal about how their culture stands apart from other industry leaders, or employers in general. Our client also has an extensive community outreach program that promotes volunteering as a team. Their focus charities change each year (selected by the employees) and create projects following clever themes that make “making a difference” fun.
The ideal candidate brings a dynamic, team oriented spirit and works well forging their own path… although they prefer the camaraderie of a tight group. They come from commercial development (or property management) accounting roles and have a Bachelor’s degree in business. They excel at cost accounting software and have 2+ years’ extensive experience using Sage 300. Most of all, they welcome an opportunity to learn more and move up the ladder with our client.
- Input and analyze data using Sage 300 software
- Review and prepare GC draw requests
- Track job costs
- Monitor contracts for compliance
- Review and approve invoices
- Prepare and review bank draw requests
- Prepare property management reports
- Present findings in development team meetings
- Maintain accurate accounting records
- Record journal entries
- Manage the revenue side of assets
- Reconcile balance sheets
- Prepare monthly financial statements
- Explain and reconcile budget variances
- Analyze portfolio cash management and suggest improvements
- Reconcile bank accounts
- Monitor property management cash balance
- Prepare wire transfers
- Review year-end and quarterly tax documents
- Prepare fixed asset capitalization worksheets
- Liaise with the acquisitions and development teams regarding future developments
- Coordinate lender and third-party requirements
- Assure compliance with corporate standards, rules and regulations
- Present information and respond to questions from clients, residents and internal teams
This is not a comprehensive list of duties.
About The Candidate:
- BA in finance, economics or business (MUST)
- 2+ years’ experience in multifamily, real estate or construction accounting (MUST)
- 1+ year revenue management experience with Yieldstar, LRO, OneSite or other (MUST)
- 2+ years’ experience using Sage 300 (MUST)
- Characteristics of the perfect candidate: a proactive written and verbal communicator and effective listener, well-organized with high level planning skills, works well under pressure or tight deadlines, loves working with all personality types, team player, takes ownership of work and believes in accountability, has high level of integrity, needs no management to begin and complete projects in a timely manner, analytical.
Equal Opportunity Employer considering qualified applicants in accordance with applicable state and federal laws, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with local and federal Hiring Ordinance.