Director of Accounting
Calabasas, CA US
This position is responsible for applying principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports while maintaining the integrity of the Company’s finances. This position also serves as the main liaison between the Company and investors, lenders, outside accountants, and other professional business partners. This position reports to the President.
Responsibilities- Core duties and responsibilities include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transaction
- Perform statistical analysis to determine trends, estimates, and significant variances, and explain finding
- Analyze financial information monthly detailing assets, liabilities, and capital, and prepare balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports to summarize and interpret current and projected company financial position.
- Perform regular, detailed audits to ensure accuracy in financial documents, expenditures and investment
- Maintain control over the General Ledger and all journals, registers, and subsidiary detail and reconciling of such to the General Ledger.
- Determine proper handling of financial transactions and journal entries and approve transactions within designated limits.
- Monitor compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and company procedure
- Review, investigate, and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
- Install, modify, document and coordinate implementation of accounting systems and accounting control procedure
- Communicate effectively with lenders, outside accountants, financial institutions, insurance affiliates, and other professional business partners, and respond as appropriate to request
- Complete monthly reconciliations in a timely manner.
- Monitor monthly property and business tax payments.
- Oversee all governmental and contractual compliance record keeping and reporting, both financial and non-financial.
- Calculate applicable fees and billbacks and apply accurately.
- Prepare and distribute all investor distributions per schedule, and handle investor inquirie
- Aid in the setup of investors and all related accounts during property acquisitions.
- Make recommendations regarding the accounting of reserves, assets and expenditure
- Collect appropriate data and prepare federal, state and local tax payments as well as timely return filing.
Education, Skills and Experience
- Degree in accounting or finance and a Certified Public Accountant qualification
- Proven work experience as a CPA
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with Yardi property management software
- 5 years prior experience in an accounting, general ledger, financial statements, bank reconcilement, payroll, A/P or A/R position
- Familiarity with 1031 exchanges
- Familiarity with IRS documents, state brochures and information pamphlets
- Proficiency in MS Office suite
- Possess strong math skills
- Excellent communication s Ability to express verbal and written communication with government and city agencies as well as investors, lenders, business partners and management
- Ability to multi-task and have excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrate a professional and positive disposition
Equal Opportunity Employer considering qualified candidates in accordance with state and federal laws, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.