Director of Production Accounting
Santa Monica, CA 90404 | Direct Hire
We seek a Director of Accounting with Entertainment Industry specific experience for our client, a major production studio in Los Angeles.
This is a Direct Hire OR Temp to Hire opportunity to start immediately. Salary for Direct Hire is $140-150k depending on experience or for Temp to Hire at $70/hour.
The Director of Accounting (Production) provides executive level oversight for budgetary and cost reporting, production accounting, systems efficiency and guidance to production accounting teams.
Our client is a multi-billion dollar entertainment company heavily immersed in motion picture and television production, digital and international distribution, entertainment innovation and is home to many of the top shows and movies today. They have a rich history in community involvement, human rights advocacy and philanthropy and actively contribute time and money to many important causes. They encourage employees to pursue their own charitable interests and offer a fantastic work culture that employees enjoy and numerous career growth opportunities.
The ideal candidate brings 6+ years of high level accounting management experience, a Masters in accounting or finance and comes from a major studio environment with specific experience in live scripted TV production. This candidate is a high energy individual who works well with and effectively directs any level employee, is known for their great communication skills and respectful approach to management and has the financial abilities to provide detailed and accurate analysis of financial and operating budget reports.
About the Position:
- Analyze budgets and cost reports
- Manage production accounting teams for all shows
- Oversee and troubleshoot weekly cost reporting
- Oversee and troubleshoot daily hot costs
- Prepare in-house budgets
- Oversee budgeting for contractors and 3rd party vendors
- Create new project accounts for payroll and in accounting records
- Onboard new production accountants
- Analyze and report on financials for special projects
- Liaise between all departments and clients
- Assist with monthly, quarterly and annual closes
- Provide analytical support
- Design an organizational structure that achieves the department’s objectives
- Enforce a documented system of policies, procedures and controls
- Maintain orderly accounting files
- Train staff on proper procedures
- Determine best practices
- Other duties as assigned
This is not a comprehensive list of duties.
About the Candidate:
- BA degree (Bachelor’s degree) in accounting, finance or economics (MUST)
- 6+ years’ experience in television production accounting (MUST)
- 3+ years’ experience in a Major Studio environment (MUST)
- 2+ years’ experience working with Union & Guild Requirements (MUST)
- 2+ years’ experience in live scripted TV (MUST)
- 2+ years’ experience using EP Movie Magic Budgeting & Scheduling software (MUST)
- Intermediate + computer / software skills including advanced Excel and Word (MUST)
- Personality and Strengths: self-motivated, critical thinker, problem-solver, advanced written and verbal communication, exceptional math skills, leadership abilities, multi-tasker, critical thinker, highly organized analytical, detail oriented
Equal Opportunity Employer considering qualified candidates in accordance with state and federal laws, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.