Payroll Specialist – Produce Distribution/Supply
Valencia, CA 91354 | Contract to Hire
We are currently interviewing professionals for a fantastic Temp to Hire Payroll Specialist opportunity with our client in the Valley.
Our client, a non-profit food cooperative that represents a collective of food producers in the Western United States, is owned and operated by its membership (primarily farmers - over 6000 members strong). The organization promotes its values (traditional farming practices, care of natural resources and family/individual-owned farms) and provides resources its members need to thrive. At the corporate headquarters, employees are also given the resources and support to thrive in a “nourishing” environment intended to bring out the best in every individual and delivers a wide range of benefits that address individual goals and desires.
This role oversees the payroll process of the organization’s corporate office, from the collection and review of time cards to updating ledgers and ensuring compliance with state and federal standards. They analyze practices and suggest improvements based on past and current issues and the overall efficiency of the process.
The ideal candidate welcomes the opportunity to provide short to long term support, with a possibility to go permanent if the fit is awesome! They bring an accounting degree with 4+ years in full cycle payroll using MAS200, SAGE HRMS & Kronos. Our client seeks candidates who strive for excellence and personal accountability!
If this opportunity isn’t the right fit for you, other clients need your help and would love to meet you!
About the Position:
- Collect and review employee time records
- Input payroll data into payroll software
- Process biweekly, monthly and off-cycle payrolls
- Balance payroll and maintain records
- Provide updated general ledgers and month-end reports
- Use Kronos for payroll reporting
- Compiles periodic and ad hoc reports
- Request stop payments, ACH deletions and/or reversals
- Provide information and documentation to authorized government agencies and courts
- Reconcile and submit quarterly and annual files
- Adjust tax information in database as needed
- Assist with internal and external audits
- Reconcile payroll as required
- Audit payroll records for accuracy
- Generate audit reports with conclusions and recommendations
- Recognize and escalate potential issues to management with suggested resolutions
- Calculate and process special checks, such as terminations
- Implement workable solutions to repeated issues
- Prepare W2s (using Ceridian)
- Provide year-end reporting
- Identify and train best practice improvements
- Coordinate with third-party vendors (e.g. Kronos, Ceridian, etc)
- Propose new ideas and solutions to increase process efficiency
- Audit employee time and attendance
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and hour laws
- Provide data and documents for internal and external auditors
- Liaise between accounting and payroll departments
- Oversee system updates, including testing, in 3rd party software or vendors (ie Kronos, Ceridian)
- Special tasks or projects as requested
This is not a comprehensive list of duties.
About the Candidate:
- BA in business, accounting or related (PLUS)
- 4+ years full cycle payroll (MUST)
- Bilingual English/Spanish (PLUS)
- 2+ years’ experience with in-house payroll systems, MAS200, SAGE HRMS & Kronos (MUST)
- 2+ years’ experience with Ceridian (PLUS)
- Intermediate computer skills with MS Office, including Word and Excel (MUST)
- Personality and skills: attention to detail, analytical, strong math skills, organized, motivated and self-starter, strong verbal and written communication, time management, dependable, customer service oriented, ability to multi-task
BENEFITS: Our client offers a flexible benefits package to Full Time, permanent employees. Some features include pre-tax adjustments, medical (PPO/HMO/Health Savings), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts (health care, dependent), life and disability insurance, pet insurance, pre-paid legal assistance, 401k, family entertainment discounts, generous paid holidays and vacation and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer considering qualified candidates in accordance with state and federal laws, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.