Payroll and Benefits Coordinator
Los Angeles, CA 90036 | Direct Hire
We seek a Payroll and Benefits Coordinator for our client, a leading California law firm to provide Human Resources support to 6 branch offices.
Our client is a large legal firm specializing in public education. They have 6 branch offices and represent over 400 of California’s busiest educational institutions, from school districts to community colleges, county offices to elementary schools. They excel at providing specialized legal services and are proud to explain that many employees began their careers in public education. Their passion for education extends beyond legal counsel into efforts that support community potential. Their philanthropy team and volunteers have instituted multiple charitable programs aimed at encouraging K-12 students to welcome diversity and collaboration through creative competitions (such as art, essay and photography contests), supporting renewable energy usage in schools through green challenges and hosting tech summits that bring professionals from both worlds together to discuss and develop strategies to integrate technological improvements in the public education system.
This role liaises with employees, management and 3rd party vendors to effectively communicate important information about employee relations, training, benefits and performance management to all parties with a high standard of confidentiality. They administer plans in accordance with federal and state regulations and process weekly payroll, benefits and leave administration.
The ideal candidate brings at least 2 years of payroll experience at a law firm and has a solid grasp on managing payroll and benefits programs. With their dynamic personality, they get along well with all personality types, take confidentiality seriously and are passionate about education.
- Process weekly and semi-monthly payroll
- Process manual checks and reconciliations
- Perform audits of employee time and attendance
- Coordinate timesheet approvals and resolve discrepencies
- Update payroll journal entries
- Manage information in Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) and paper files
- Administer benefits and Leave of Absence (LOA)
- Explain benefits policies and programs, legal rights, eligibility and requirements
- Respond to inquiries about benefits, retirement plans, vacation/sick time, leaves of absence
- Accurately apply health benefit deductions
- Enroll employees into group health insurance plans
- Regularly review and reconcile vendor invoices
- Complete verification of employment requests
- Process claims for unemployment insurance and worker's compensation
- Liaise with 3rd party vendors and resolve benefits issues and claims
- Process state compliance forms
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal labor laws and requirements
- Ensure compliance with OSHA filings/postings
- Ensure Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance
- Ensure compliance with benefits policies and regulations
- Oversee on-boarding of new hires, including orientations
- Oversee terminations (including final paychecks, exit interviews, HRIS updates, etc)
- Maintain HR intranet web pages
This is not a comprehensive list of duties.
About The Candidate:
- AA/BA/BS degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Human Resources (MUST)
- 3+ years’ experience in benefits administration, LOA, and human resources (MUST)
- 1+ years’ experience payroll (MUST)
- 1+ years’ experience at law firm (PLUS)
- Advanced computer skills including MS Office, document management (MUST)
- Intermediate software skills using DP and HRIS Sage software (PLUS)
- Experience/Knowledge: federal and state benefits regulations affecting employee, benefit programs including ERISA, COBRA, HIPAA and Section 125 (MUST)
- Personality, Characteristics and Skills: advanced written and oral communication, able to multi-task, able to work independently, organized, detail oriented, positive attitude, customer service oriented, friendly, leadership, ability to write clearly and concisely, excellent grammar, ability to anticipate needs and problems, analyze and prioritize issues, conflict resolution
Equal Opportunity Employer considering qualified candidates in accordance with state and federal laws, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Full benefits and perks: Company cell and laptop, paid vacation, casual office attire, flexible work-from-home options and more